groov RIO® revolutionizes remote I/O by offering over 200,000 unique, software-configurable I/O combinations in a single, compact, PoE-powered industrial package with web-based configuration, commissioning, and flow logic software built in, plus support for multiple OT and IT protocols. (If you use Ignition from Inductive Automation, see GRV-R7-MM2001-10, which includes Ignition Edge 8 pre-installed, and has increased RAM and storage capacity to handle Ignition Edge's requirements.)
You can use groov RIO in two ways:
- As an edge I/O unit (I/O for the IIoT), communicating data between field devices and data destinations. You can:
- Connect directly to sensors, equipment, and systems to acquire data
- Push data directly to on-premises or cloud apps, databases, or other software, typically using the included Node-RED
- Publish data to an MQTT broker
- Respond to Modbus/TCP requests for data
- Configure built-in I/O channels with browser-based groov Manage software, and configure self-contained PID loops (requires groov RIO firmware 3.0 or higher)
- Manage user accounts and permissions from a central location on your LDAP server (firmware 3.0 or higher)
- As traditional remote I/O, configuring I/O through your control program:
- With a groov EPIC processor running a PAC Control strategy; add a groov RIO as an I/O unit
- With a groov EPIC processor running a CODESYS application, add a groov RIO as an Ethernet device
- With a custom control program through either RIO's OptoMMP memory map, its REST API, or through secure shell access (requires groov RIO firmware 3.0 or higher and a free GROOV-LIC-SHELL license), configure I/O in the custom program
The GRV-R7-MM1001-10 is a 10-channel, multi-signal, multifunction remote I/O unit. Its communications processor has two switched Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, one capable of Power over Ethernet (802.3af PoE Class 0) connections, supplying power to both groov RIO and field I/O. It also has:
- Supply terminals to connect to a 10-32 V DC power supply.
- A USB host port, which can be used to connect additional devices like a Wi-Fi adapter, a USB memory stick, or a USB-to-serial adapter (none included).
- Status LEDs to display the status of power, network, and I/O activity.
- One 26-pin removable field I/O termination connector with spring clamp wire retention.
The first 8 channels offer discrete and analog inputs and outputs; the last 2 channels offer Form C mechanical relays.